Reporting to: Head of HSE/ HSE Manager
Working Days: Monday to Friday
Reporting to the Head of HSE/ HSE Manager you will support the site team and ensure compliance to all applicable ISO’s inc ISO14001 and ISO45001 and others as they are adopted, including implementation of company policies, procedures, Safe Systems of Work (SSoW) and Risk Assessment & Method Statements (RAMS) by leading by example with our ‘Safety First’ culture.
This will include compliance to (but not limited to) PUWER, LOLER, DSEAR, COSHH, with onsite internal inspections for HSE to ensure we remain compliant to our legal obligations.
We are looking for an approachable team member with a can-do attitude to raise the culture within the site teams.
Whole site based in Gloucester.
Day to Day responsibilities include:
• To maintain (once achieved) the Companies Management Systems inclusive of all associated policies, plans and procedures, and to manage the transition to any updated standards as they are introduced (ISOs 14001 & 45001 and others as they become relevant)
• To carry out audits of the company processes and procedures, and to make, and implement where required, improvement recommendations as necessary.
• To carry out site Health & Safety audits of the work areas to ensure that ‘Safety First’ is upheld throughout the business and manage with area managers the close out of any actions raised.
• To create, review and update the company’s policies, procedures and forms to ensure they remain relevant and are compliant against industry recognised standards and meet or exceed its various accreditation schemes’ requirements and ensure these are communicated through the company.
• Actively participate in HSE Committee, GEMBA walks, HSE Toolbox talks, client and/or membership body meetings (as appropriate).
• Advise on all dealings with any regulatory bodies (EA/ HSE/ Local Authority etc)
• Provide guidance and assistance to employees based on local legislation and any associated British Standards & Guidance (EA/ HSE/ DSEAR etc)
• Provide support & assistance in the creation and review of Risk Assessment & Method Statements (RAMS), including COSHH, DSEAR, Safe Systems of Work (SSoW) and Site Operating Procedures (SOP).
• To liaise with internal stakeholder to advise on Health & Safety training matters, and where necessary, assist in the implementation of training programmes including management of the company e-learning portal.
• To liaise with external stakeholders during planned maintenance tasks under PUWER/ LOLER
• Support & manage the accident and incident investigation process (Root Cause Analysis (RCA)) and where practicable, maintain zero enforcement & RIDDOR notices to prevent reoccurrence.
• Support with Occupational Health Monitoring Program and support with annual DSE assessment reviews and respond accordingly to individual needs.
• Promote positive wellbeing, health & safety awareness and drive the company “Safety First” culture, through mentoring of managers, supervisors & employees.
• Any other duties specified by your line manager
Person Specification, Essential:
• NEBOSH General or IOSH Managing Safely.
• NEBOSH Environmental or IEMA Environmental Trained
• Membership to IOSH and/or IEMA or equivalent bodies
• The employee will need to have a keen eye for attention to detail including an organised and logical approach for reading, understanding and implementing legislation.
• They must be able to display initiative and time management skills and be flexible in relation to working arrangements and location. A confident and professional manner to speak to peers and all levels of management.
• Excellent communication skills, written and verbal.
• Proficiency in MS Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel)
• Comfortable working in a team or on own initiative
• The minimum desired qualifications required to be held shall be:
• Minimum of Grade C/ Grade 4, GCSE in English and Mathematics
OR Minimum of Level 2, Functional Skills in English, Mathematics & IT
Person Specification, Desirables:
• Experienced in working within ISO 45001, ISO 14001 certified organisations.
• Good knowledge of COSHH, PUWER, LOLER & DSEAR
• Internal or Lead auditor trained for ISO 45001 / ISO 14001
• Solid manufacturing background
• Mental Health First aider/ First Aider/ Fire Marshal
The physical environment requires the employee to work in office and factory locations within our Gloucester branch, you may also be required to travel to our other site location in the UK from time to time. The employee will be required to wear PPE whilst out on the factory floor and additional PPE based on the working locations, this will be provided by the company. Although there is no immediate requirement for weekend, nights or bank holiday coverage this may be considered as an ad hoc basis and shall be discussed when required.
As part of the company’s compliance to The Health & Safety at Work Etc Act 1974, ISO9001 & AS 9001 for Quality, ISO14001 for Environmental and ISO45001 for Occupational Health & Safety, there are several key objectives that are issued each year upon management review that we expect all staff to work towards for the company to meet these objectives and include but are not limited to:
• Compliance to all legislative, Guidance and British Standard requirements
• Compliance to associated accreditation bodies schemes from ISO and others as required.
• To maximise customer satisfaction with the services provided by Permali Gloucester.
• Working to reduce, renew & recycle any waste on and off our offices.
• To protect the environment and ensure use of toxic materials is avoided where possible, noise levels are deemed as acceptable and dust is managed and controlled at source.
• Staff will work to a best safe practice and ensure that their actions do not cause harm unto themselves or others.
• Staff will not tamper with any issued PPE or plant machinery that it may cause harm unto themselves or others.
• To ensure all minimum training requirements are met in compliance with the relevant ISO standards.
• To ensure that any Health & Safety ‘accident or incidents’ are effectively reported and resolved in a timely fashion (internally or externally)
• Always maintain clear desk and screen.
• Compliance to ensure no deliberate breaches in physical security, security information and/ or systems.